Sunday, July 29, 2012

We Paws Now for this Announcement

Tato. My people are lost, but at least the food's good!
Recognize this fellow? Me neither.

He was found near my home in Woodinville, and I seem to be fostering him temporarily. He has been wandering around for at least five days, so the chances of finding his owner are falling pretty fast. No tags, no ID, and no chip. Grrr! My best guess is that he slipped his collar on a trail walk somewhere, but that could have happened anywhere within a 10 mile radius of here. I can file reports with the appropriate shelters and place flyers with vets and pet food stores, but it's not clear where to put up flyers locally. Several people are helping; we'll do what we can.

Last night my son wanted to name him Stinky Chest, but this morning he relented. For the moment, I'm calling him Tato (as in "couch potato"). At 46 lbs, Tato is a bit on the chunky side (so he's probably American). He arrived hungry, in serious need of a bath to clean off his back end, and needed a major brushing out. Apparently not house trained, though that could be because he has a problem with his bladder at the moment. Clean gums and clipped toenails; he has clearly been cared for by someone. Some signs of old injuries; he may be a rescue, but if so it's surprising that he isn't chipped. I'll say more about the injuries in a month - we're currently withholding that information to help us confirm that any putative owner is authentic.

Tato is very calm and gentle. He exhibits no herding drive. He is terrific with kids - better than Faith. After a day here, he is starting to try to play with Trevor and Faith, though Faith's idea of play is decidedly odd and has him a bit puzzled. He is very easy to handle, and was perfectly calm about having his mouth and paws checked over. Tato is doing quite well with my two after some initial hesitation. For the moment, he's the calmest dog in the house. He seems to like riding in the car - even with the top down - and is quite calm about being left in the car while I go in and out of places. Oddly enough, he does not seem stressed about having misplaced his people.

Trevor. See the resemblance?
People can be remarkable. One of the people who brought Tato to me is extremely allergic to fur. She was driving around with the dog in her car, sucking on an inhaler so she could breathe. She apparently got directed to me because he looks a lot like Trevor (left - see what I mean?). Considering her allergies I volunteered to take him in and post flyers, and failing that, to get him into rescue. Or that was the plan until I saw blood in his urine. Rather a lot of it. Flyers promptly took a back seat in favor of a trip to the vet, which is where I'm writing this as I wait.

Hard to tell how old he is. Lots of wear on his teeth, but he could be anywhere from 5 to 9 years. No CHD, but some stiffness in his back hips. Vet just came back, and he may have a stone in his bladder, but we're running a panel to check for other issues at this point.

Aside from the fact that he's way too calm to be a Border Collie, he's a great little guy. Some uncertain hesitancy on various things, but then he's very compliant when verbally reassured.

Right now he's being quite the snuggler, but let's see what happens as he becomes more confident with the environment at my house. On second thought, let's hope we find his people before he gets a chance to settle in that far.

4 comments:

  1. I arrived here through your CL post for the BC dog that "found you". As the owner of a 2.5 yr. old BC and one who works with dog rescues and will soon be a first-time dog foster mom, I just wanted to say that I am SOOOO glad this guy made it to you because, as you know from having other BC's (and BEAUTIFUL ones I might add), this breed is very often misunderstood and difficult to home & re-home because of their 'quirks' and high energy levels.

    Although of course I hope he's ultimately reunited with his family (if he does, in fact, have one), it looks like he's in GREAT hands in the meantime. Sigh of relief! Good luck to all of you!

    Jen & Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work with the Pacific Northwest Border Collie Rescue, and remember hearing about someone who had lost a border collie in the last month, in your area. I'll go ahead and post this page on their board, and have them respond directly to you. In the meanwhile, thank YOU for getting this dog off the streets~! Contact me, if you need any help with him...

    Claire Talltree, in Snohomish, WA

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you cannot find the owner and need the dog to go into BC rescue, or if you want to foster and have SPDR ( Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue ) list the dog on this site www.pnwbcrescue.org , You can contact them throudh Claire, Myself or on the pnw site or also at www.spdrdogs.org. If you visit the pnw site and note the dogs on the WA page as being in Port Orchard, the contact info in their Bio is that of the Rep for SPDR for Border Collies. I will link this blog to FB and ask my relatives in the Brier/Woodinville area to also post it.
    Pat, foster home for SPDR Border Collies but in Moses Lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, Claire: Thanks. I've been in contact with Vicki Romero at SPDR pretty much from the beginning. Might have surrendered him then, but you can't legally surrender a dog into rescue until they are actually yours. That and the medical issues is what started me on the 30 day hold process.

      Delete